Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Aintree - Grand National



It's shaping up to be the best Grand National we have ever witnessed and the bottom rated looks like being 145 which is quite something.
I say that because we don't have to go too far back to 2007 when Silver Birch won to find that the first 5 home that day wouldn't have made this years line up - but neither would other past winners such as Auroras Encore, Comply Or Die or Numbersixvalverde !
Trainers will just have to face facts the race is getting classier and if you definitely want to be in it next year then you need to get a rating over 145 to qualify, that of course will mean running your horses in some races and showing some form - heaven forbid!
I am not in the camp of letting past winners run because they've failed to qualify like all the other horses. I don't mind the idea of restricting an owner to no more than 3 runners but that would only have affected J. P. McManus this year in any event as he has 4 in the top 40.
I've got a number of selections lined up for the next few days following my own in depth review of the Cheltenham handicaps and I'm really looking forward to my local meeting and I will be attending on the first day. Before that though I have the preview evening tonight in Aintree with Warren Greatrex and Harry Whittington present which should be good and I will give a short review of that in the morning.
On another note Channel 4 don't look like pulling out all the stops for their last National as they don't look like even starting race coverage until after the first race has finished - a poor show indeed if this is correct. I hope ITV can rectify this error of judgement next season.

I will do another post this afternoon when I know the declared runners for tomorrow and also what the final 40 is for the big one !


No comments:

Post a Comment